Monday, September 19, 2005

Anything worth doing is worth doing poorly

“Anything worth doing is worth doing poorly” – Bob Taylor

I was struck by this quote last week when I attended Frequency 05. It was a small conference of Youth Pastors dedicated to building each other up and exchanging ideas. I attended the seminar on “Developing a Dream” which was led by none other than Bob Taylor. For all of you who have no clue who this man is he is the founder of Taylor Guitars and a legend in the business. He is also a devout Christian and active member of Skyline Wesleyan in San Diego.

He shared that in life we can’t really wait till we are ready for things. You can’t wait till you have all your ducks in a row and then go forward. If you did that you would never get anything done at all…or very little. The things that God is calling you to are worth doing badly at first. You can’t be good at something till you are bad at it but if it is something you truly desire or are called to it is worth it.

How many times has anyone who has done what God asked them to do thought they were ready for it? Moses was not ready to lead the Israelites and neither was Joshua. Gideon was pretty gun shy too. Even Jesus was hesitant to step up to the plate of his death. In my own life I know that I am not “ready” to be married. I feel like I am too selfish, too insensitive and too controlling. I am not even sure sometimes why Lindsay wants to be with me and the times that I am sure…is usually pride. I am probably not going to be the husband I want to be at year 1 of marriage. Truth be told I might start getting it at year 40. If I waited till I felt ready for marriage I would probably not do it at all. Same goes with being a pastor, college graduate, even a Christian.

If we wait till we feel ready for life we will probably never live. As Christians we don’t have it all together but that should not stop us from trying to live for Christ today. The world needs His love and we are not the best at giving it sometimes but lets face it…we (Christ’s Body) are all the world has got. Time is always moving forward…it is best that we do to.

Ok so this is yet another old article from the Spotlight that I wrote months ago and never posted.

No comments: