Wednesday, September 21, 2005

All hail the mind numbing glowing box

It’s funny to me that we think that an hour a week in church will shape us more than the 40+ we spend in front of the TV – Justin Gentry

I used to be a media junkie. I probably hit the American average (40+ hours) every week if I combined all my time playing videogames and watching movies/TV. Media, at one time, ruled my life and I imagine I am not alone in this confession. I failed to realize that what I am putting in is going to affect my values and my thought processes. I put in garbage and I got out garbage. I still love a good movie but I had to ask myself the question, “What am I shaping my life around; the TV Guide or the Bible?”

It is tough to break away from the iron grip that media has on our lives but are we are trading the power of a healthy relationship with God and others for a glowing box? “Why go to church on Wednesday night when the premier of Lost is on and I might miss the beginning?” or “God forbid I would miss the big game that will mean nothing to anyone in a few months.” We have to decide if we are going to live media centered lives or Christ centered lives. It is foolish at best to think that an hour or two at church is going to shape how you think at all when you are baptizing yourself in ABC and Fox all week.

I know what you are thinking, “I don’t watch those “bad” shows.” I will say good for you but what is 30-60 hours of TV taking the place of? You might just be disconnecting from life for a while but is that at the cost of more important things like relationships with family, spouse, God? Parents; are you watching what your kids are watching? Dropping your kids off at youth group hoping it will turn them around and not keeping track of what they are putting into their minds at home is not helping them at all. TV is not a good babysitter and whether they will admit it now or not they will thank you for a little “family time” when they are older.

We have to center our lives on something and right now most of American is centering it and around the TV. What is the effect that this has on our kids? What message are we sending when we are seen more in front of the TV than anywhere else? What makes the TV more comforting than God/other people?

Talk amongst yourselves.

(and yes I did quote myself)

1 comment:

::athada:: said...

ah... thank you!
I may boast that my TV watching is approx. 8 min / week.
My internet-watching? That's quite another story!