Friday, June 23, 2006

Control

The leaf lives its appointed time, and does not struggle against the wind that carries it away. The leaf does no harm, and finally falls to nourish new leaves. So it should be with all men and women. –Aram the Tinker

At first glance this quote appears to advocate giving up. “Just be like the leaf…go where the wind takes you,” offends our American sensibilities. “God helps those who help themselves,” is our motto. I am wondering if this is just a farce, a clever lie meant to hide the fact that we have no control. Maybe we are more like the leaf than we think.

I have been thinking a lot about control. Who is in control? We say God is in control but we also “help ourselves” so He can “help” us. We hate the idea of God determining our steps but we say He is in control. When life is going well we marvel at our brilliance; when it is bad we blame God and try to get out. Do we really even have a clue what we are talking about?

What can we control? We can’t control the weather. We saw that last week when our cities became rivers and our parking lots became lakes. We put so much effort into stopping the rain from damaging our stuff and we still get surprised. We can’t control life and death. Abortions go wrong and the child lives and fertility drugs can fail to come through for us. Some live to 90; some are lucky to reach 9. We can’t even control ourselves. Listen to what Paul has to say in Romans 7: 21-24, “It seems to be a fact of life that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong. I love God's law with all my heart. But there is another law at work within me that is at war with my mind. This law wins the fight and makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin?” Even Paul seemed to be out of control.

We all want control of our lives. We usually want control of others lives too. I am not sure we will ever get it. How can we? All out attempts to keep the rain out, to stay alive and to stop sinning fail. What choice do we have but to give control to someone who can do it? Paul says later that the Answer is held only in Jesus Christ our Lord. He did not deliver us so we could control our destiny. He liberated us so we could be a part of His destiny for us. When are we going to learn the lesson of the leaves?

Verses to ponder: Matthew 16:24-26, Romans 7 and 8, Job 38

3 comments:

Brooks said...

mmm. good.

Brooks said...

- ok, i'll preach on that Sunday. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hey,
I enjoyed your blog. Thanks for being honest and open about everything. Jesus is so cool! I love reading about people who know really know him.

I am a musician and I would be honored if you would check out my music. All my music is free for download. Anyway, I don't mean to be a pest, just thought I'd share.

Thanks,
-Sean
______________________
www.SeanDietrich.com
"All my muisc is free."