Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Practical Atheism

Deism= It is the practice of atheism with the belief in God.
– Justin’s Dictionary of Religious Terms and Paraphernalia

Have you ever been tempted by atheism? No god or person to tell you what to do; you are the standard. You don’t have to depend on anyone but yourself and you don’t have to be accountable to anyone either. When there is a problem you don’t have to ask some god for help…you can do it yourself and get the credit. You don’t have to buy into all this humility, patience and love stuff; you can be your own man/woman and do things your way.

They say that atheism is dying out as a belief, but the practice of it is far more widespread than we ever imagined. Read through the list again. Now carefully and honestly ask yourself if you are a practicing atheist. “How many times have I lived my life like this?” A person may not actually think or say, “I want it my way and no other” but a person often lives that way.

It is all too easy to be a believing Christian but a practicing atheist. We can go about our day believing that God is there yet acting like he is not. We pray like he can help but won’t wait for his timing. When crisis strikes we will have faith enough to say a few words but keep the more practical matters of business to ourselves. In confession, I will wear him gladly on my sleeve but often fail to hide him in my heart.

How many days have I lived centered on my problems and my solutions? How many times have I let the practical rule out the divine? We live in a country founded by Deists of which I am often the worst. I will ask him to bless the building but not the finances, the sermon but not the study, and the program but not the planning.

Some might think I am splitting hairs or that I am too idealistic and young. Yeah it is probably true, but I am not sure that it is a bad thing. I remember a time when I wasn’t so practical. I believed there was a way to graduate college debt free even when all seemed impossible, I believed I could be a pastor despite my checkered past, I believed I could do all things through Christ who strengthens me…and he did. I remember a day when I wasn’t so practical and I intend to return there.

Are you a practicing atheist? Where does the road to recovery lay? Do you see it as a problem or just “good common sense”?

Talk amongst yourselves

3 comments:

Keith Drury said...

Good admonition to us all..thanks for that!

Barton E. Price said...

You are very observant of the world around you. I have always appreciated that about you. The greater question is what do we do about it, or can we? Also, thanks for the label "up and coming genius." You always had more faith in my intellect than I. I have more faith in your ministry than you. Hope that returns the favor.

D.M. said...

Good thoughts. Practical Christian piety is something that is sadly lacking in many Christians lives. It is a funny thing about being proud of being a Christian and still finding it hard to be one- a "silent killer" of souls.

Good to find your blogsite too. I trust all is well with you and yours- Merry Christmas.